Operation Reindeer is the South Devon Police Christmas burglary initiative which has been introduced to combat crime which usually proceeds the Christmas period.
The message from the police is:
Burglary is a serious offence which has a devastating impact on victims. It is our intention to reduce this risk and harm in the community by working actively with our partners and the community. We will be rolling out a number of initiatives over the coming month. You can make a big difference in keeping your home safe from burglary by taking just a few simple steps.
- Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied.
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you’re just out in the garden, remembering to double-lock UPVC doors.
- Keep ladders and tools stored away; don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home.
- Remove presents and valuables from view of ground floor windows, avoid stockpiling large amounts of gifts under the tree too early.
- Install good outside lighting.
- Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox.
Members of the public can assist by providing information on burglary or reporting suspicious activity on 101 quoting Operation Reindeer, or alternatively anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111. Thank you.